Video Tour of Sharon CT’s Village Green

The weather was beautiful these last few days and so with the help of Bailey-boy, my trusty side-kick, we captured the Green on video.

Congregational Church front entry

South End of Main Street walking toward Veterans Memorial

Corner of Routes 4, 343 & 41

Clocktower

Main Street headed toward the Historical Society

The Sharon Historical Society Building

Hotchkiss Library

Plaque marking the initial meeting house of the Congregational Church

Plaque marking the tree planted for the World War II veterans by the Sharon Woman’s Club

Sharon CT’s Town Hall

Walk tour of the Green, part 1

Walk tour of the Green, part 2

Entry of the Methodist Church

North End of Main Street

For additional videos of Sharon, Connecticut visit our YouTube channel.

June 8, 2010 at 5:35 pm Leave a comment

Sharon Green

When Sharon was settled in 1739, the proprietors determined to create a central town plot running the length of the main village with ample room for the necessary public establishments.

The Town Street as originally laid out was twelve rods wide, double the width of other street. Sharon’s first two meeting houses were built on the west part of the green. A pound was established, and grazing was permitted- a practical way of keeping the grass cut! Through the years the green has seen many uses. Once a lumber yard existed there. Picnics, rallies and festivals, such as our present day Memorial Day Parade, naturally take place on the green.

Though the streets widen and the stately elms have gone, Sharon green remains relatively unchanged for all to enjoy.

View a Google Map of Sharon Green with Photos and Videos.

June 4, 2010 at 3:44 pm Leave a comment

Mark the Calendar! July 2nd & 3rd

A Taste of Sharon: Presented by The Sharon Historical Society

Friday July 2nd, 2010 from 6pm to 8pm
“Let Them Eat Cake” Cocktail Party & Cake Auction

On the Grounds of Sharon Historical Society at 18 Main Street, Sharon CT

Cocktails and hors d’oeuvres
(Like mother used to make!)

Followed by the Exhibit Opening: “A Pictorial History of Sharon’s Green”

Party Tickets: $35 per person
RSVP to:
sharonhistoricalsociety@yahoo.com

Tax Deductible to the extent allowed by law.

Saturday July 3rd, 2010 10am to 4pm
“Open House” on The Historic Sharon Green

Tour Six Historic Homes on the Green
Peek inside Sharon’s Famous Clock Tower
Visit the Green’s Historic Churches
The Hotchkiss Library & The Marckres Store
View the “Pictorial History of Sharon’s Green” Exhibit at Sharon Historical Society
Guided tours by the Sharon Green Preservation Association at 11am & 2pm (meet at the Town Hall)
Sharon Green Scavenger Hunt & Games for Kids

WHDD will broadcast Live from the Green from 10am to 2pm

Tickets: $20 for entry ticket to Private Homes. Have your print tour map sent to you or access digital copies on-line at http://www.sharonhist.org or via your smartphone.

Tax Deductible to the extent allowed by law.

Free entry to Churches and Public Buildings, Tours and Museums, All Kids events free!

Bring a blanket and picnic on the green!!

May 25, 2010 at 5:35 pm Leave a comment

Exhibit Opening Reception- May 16th

Joan Palmer “A Watercolor Journey”

Exhibit Dates: May 16-July 16, 2010

The Butterfly Garden by Joan Palmer

May 15, 2010 at 1:00 pm Leave a comment

Art at The Granary

A benefit to help support The Sharon Historical Society, The Sharon Volunteer Fire Department and Ambulance Squad

The Granary is the art exhibition and storage facility that houses works from the collection of Melva Bucksbaum and Raymond Learsy.

Located in a beautiful bucolic setting in Litchfield County, Connecticut, The Granary was designed by architect Steven Learner and completed in the fall of 2009.

The current installation features a broad range of contemporary art including works by artists based in the area: Sarah Charlesworth, Allen Blagden, Laurie Simmons, Carroll Dunham, Don Gummer, KK Kozik, Julian Lethbridge, Todd Eberle, Pieter Lefferts, Frank Stella, Eric Forstmann, Duncan Hannah, Cleve Gray, Terry Winters, Valerie Rout, and Jasper Johns. In addition, the property also includes outdoor sculpture by Eric Fischl, Bryan Hunt, Donald Baechler, and Ian Hamilton Finlay.

Art at The Granary
Saturday May 22, 2010
5:30 PM – 8 PM

Hosted by Melva Bucksbaum & Raymond Learsy

View this acclaimed collection of contemporary art & enjoy refreshments at the Pool House

Tickets IN ADVANCE ONLY
$100 per person – Limited to 250 Guests

To reserve your spot, call the Sharon Historical Society at 860-364-5688.

Parking on Main Street in Sharon and behind the Sharon Town Hall. Shuttle Service from the Sharon Town Hall will run continuously to The Granary.

There is NO parking at the event site.

This is a special benefit to help support The Sharon Historical Society, The Sharon Volunteer Fire Department and Ambulance Squad.

May 11, 2010 at 4:11 pm Leave a comment

The Growth of Sharon Hospital 1909-2010

May 7th at 4pm we will open the newest Sharon Historical Society Exhibit:

The Center of Caring- Sharon Hospital 1909-2010

Sharon Hospital Photo Exhibit

Exhibit Area Wall

Sharon Hospital Exhibit Corner Wall

Trustees Approve Hospital Expansion

More photos at our Flickr Account.

You can also view three short videos of the exhibit rooms via YouTube:

Video #1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXI6d3westY

Video #2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rd8vyB2KRp4

Video #3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3G2LpSOVA8

The first Sharon Hospital opened on December 10, 1909 in a rented brick house owned by Otto Tiedeman on Calkinstown Road. (still standing)

Founded as “a place where the ill and injured may be treated” the hospital had 2 nurses, 8 beds, a small operating room and a medical staff consisting of Drs. Jerome Chaffee, founder, S.C. Appel of Dover Plains, NY, William B. Bissell and C.K. Peterson, both of Lakeville.

Sharon Hospital was founded by Dr. Jerome S. Chaffee. Born in Amenia on November 11, 1873, Dr. Chaffee was a graduate of Yale University’s Sheffield Scientific School and the University of Pennsylvania Medical School. He served with the U.S. Navy in the Philippines during the Spanish-American War.

The trustees approved plans for a new building at a cost of $16,787. The cornerstone was laid on the site of the current hospital on September 4, 1915.

The new hospital opened on April 10, 1916, with 16 beds, 3 nurses and an operating room. The first operation—an appendectomy—was performed by Dr. Chaffee on April 11.

In 1915, Mrs. Henry M. Gillette, of Lakeville, offered $10,000 for the erection of a building and $20,000 towards an endowment for a new hospital. Romulus Riggs Colgate of Sharon, and Thomas B. Hidden of Millerton, offered to pay for equipment and supplies.

The Sharon Hospital Association, Inc., is organized by the three incorporators who became trustees and officers: President, Augustus Van Cortland, Vice-President, A.B. Landon; and Secretary and Treasurer, Dr. J. S. Chaffee.

Sharon Hospital’s first head nurse was Miss Louise Hansen, serving directly under Dr. Chaffee from July 1, 1916 until she retired in 1941.

It may safely be assumed that there was a kitchen in the new hospital building opened in 1916. In the 1918 annual report, listed under donations are items including, “2 cans fruit, 1 can strong beans, 1 barrel apples, 1 can cherries and a coffee mill.”

Patient care is at the heart of Sharon Hospital. Between December 31, 1917 and July 1, 1918, the hospital saw 131 patients, including 22 in obstetrics where 3 “went home to wait.”

It is also noted 61 patients recovered, 58 “improved”, 7 died, and 2 were removed to other hospitals.

The 1916 hospital had a small laboratory which soon proved inadequate to the hospital needs. A new lab was installed and equipped in late 1921 or early 1922, and a full time laboratory technician was hired.

Lab services only continued to grow in importance. In the 1952 annual report it is noted that, “the installation of additional equipment in the Laboratory…afford us a type of service which previously could only be found in larger hospitals.”

In 1922, the hospital purchased the adjacent “Kenny” home to serve as a nurses’ home. When the building opened in 1923, the total number of beds expanded from 16 to 25. Maternity was located in the Nurses’ house.

Beginning in the early 1920s, fund raising was begun to expand the hospital’s already cramped quarters. The Sharon Hospital Auxiliary organized a series of street fairs and events raising $10,700.

A three-story fireproof addition was added between 1928 and 1930, adding a waiting room, nurses’ room 8 bed ward, full maternity department, and a new operating suite.

In 1945 the trustees appointed a building committee: Dr. Byron Stookey, Mr. Heathcote Woolsey and Mr. Lyman Rhoades. After the purchase of additional land to the north, the building began to take shape and opened its doors in 1948 at a cost of $799,405.13. The amount was financed in part by a loan from The Hartford National Bank. Later in 1949, a successful campaign made it possible to pay all the hospital’s debts.

1947: Dr. Jerome Chaffee, hospital founded, dies on November 26th.

In 1949, the new Chaffee Pavilion was added at the cost of $800,000. This addition expanded the hospital’s bed capacity to 50.
(The original Chaffee Pavilion was removed when the hospital expanded in 1972)

The expansion project that culminated in the 1949 addition began as the vision of Dr. William W. Herrick, a member of the board of trustees. In 1944, Dr. Herrick’s vision of a “Rural Medical Center” inspired the financial backing of Mr. Clement R. Ford and others.

In 1957, the new Harry Payne Bingham Wing and the Ford Wing were opened to increase the capacity to 68 beds in projects costing more than $200,000.

In 1957, the new Harry Payne Bingham Wing and the Ford Wing were opened to increase the capacity to 68 beds in projects costing more than $200,000.

In 1958, the hospital saw 2,618 patients, including 450 births and 774 operations!

The hospital kitchen was renovated in 1965 (perhaps before), and a new kitchen was built—and cmployee dining room—in 1995.

The hospital annual reports are full of interesting facts. For instance, in 1958 the hospital served 23,387 meals “regular diets”, and 22,353 “modified diets.” 9,579 meals were served to personnel, 733 to guests, for a grand total of 56,052.

In 1963 construction begins on Sharon Hospital’s largest expansion project, a $2 million project financed without any public fund drive, thanks to bequests from the estates of Herbert R. Fransioloi, Muriel Alvord Ward, together with a Federal grant under the Hill-Burton hospital construction program. The hospital serves 3,000 patients in this year—the most yet.

On August 1, 1965, formal dedicatory ceremonies were held to open the Fransioloi Building, the Berry Unit, and the Ward Unit. These projects provided facilities for pediatrics, obstetrics, gynecology, post-operative recovery, fracture room, emergency rooms, administrative offices, gift shop, improved kitchen and laundry equipment. Also completed was the renovation of the Ward C. Belcher Pathology Laboratory. Bed capacity was increased to 92.

Between 1972 and its completion in 1976, a major renovation project included improvements to and expansion of the Intensive Care Unit and the Emergency Room. The Laboratory and Radiology moved to their new wing and present location.

The new North Wing opened on April 29, 1995, adding four new operating suites, rehabilitation services including cardiac, a chapel, a new kitchen and employee dining room, and a new medical/surgical unit. The lobby was renovated and expanded and improvements were made to the physical plant.

The Sharon Clinic

The Sharon Clinic was opened in 1947 in the old farmhouse on Sharon Green The “Founding Fathers” were four members of the 1940 graduating class of Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons—Dr. Gevalt, Dr. Robert Fisher, Dr. George A. Fowler and Dr. Robert P. Noble. Dr. Fisher didn’t begin work at the clinic until completing his residency in 1949. Shortly thereafter, Dr. George Haydock joined the practice, and Dr. Roger Moore followed in 1951.

Later members of the Clinic practice included Dr. John Gallup in the early 1960s, followed a few years later by Dr. Peter Reyelt and Dr. Richard N. Collins. In 1972, the most recent additions were Dr. Charles Mirabile, Jr., Dr. John Charde, and Dr. John Curtis (part-time).

May 7, 2010 at 12:34 am Leave a comment

Capturing the Spirit: The Art of Susan B. Durkee

Ms. Durkee will lead a Gallery “Walk & Talk” presentation on Sunday, April 25th at 3 pm on the topic of “Creating a Portrait Step by Step”.

An award winning artist, Susan works out of her spacious West Redding, Connecticut studio, The Lobster Pot, so named by Mark Twain who owned the property at the turn of the century.

Susan graduated from Greens Farms Academy, attended one year at the School of Fine Arts at Boston University, received a Bachelor of Arts from the University of Vermont. Her work is displayed in private collections throughout the Country.

Susan has been featured on four Cable Television Shows, appeared in Fairfield Country Times, The Artist Magazine, MSNBC Connecticut News, The News Times, Signature magazine, Ridgefield Magazine, as well as the featured portrait artist in the Spring 2004 National Geographic article on Greenwich, Connecticut. Susan specializes in traditional classic style portraiture. Since 1978, she has been commissioned to paint individual, civic, and corporate portraits.

Among her corporate clients are U.S. Tobacco, the Cancer Research Institute, Wellesley College, the Mark Twain House, Hartford, Connecticut and Baylor University Medical Center. Memberships include: American Society Portrait Artists, Connecticut Society Portrait Artists, Salmagundi Club, New York, Artists Fellowship, New York, and Stroke of Genius, Oil Painters of America, Colonial Dames of America, State of Connecticut.

Susan’s exhibit, featuring over 30 original, classic works including still lifes, landscapes, portraits and equestrian paintings, will be on display at the museum from April 7 through May 7, 2010. A portion of the proceeds from the sale of works in the exhibit, or of portrait commissions, will be donated to the museum.

View at the SHS Hallway Gallery. SHS is open Monday-Friday, 10 – 4 and by appointment. Contact the museum at sharonhistoricalsociety@yahoo.com or call 860-364-5688 to set up an appointment.

April 9, 2010 at 4:42 pm Leave a comment

Older Posts Newer Posts


SHS Twitter Feeds

Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.


Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.